Present (@ Framlingham College):

Richard Harrison (Chair)
Dan Wood – Treasurer, Fram College
John Ashley Smith – Framlingham Town Council
Jenny Stockman – Suffolk Coastal Business/Fresh Aspirations Forum
Andrew Kerry – Co-Op
Trish Plant – Kitchen Shop
Chris Plant – Kitchen Shop
Richard Whitaker – Round House B&B
Kelvin Gibbs – Charnwood Milling
Becky Eglinton – Huntingfield Estates and Shepherds Crook Holiday Lettings
Elizabeth Jones – FBA Admin

Apologies:
Bill Bulstrode – Bulstrodes
Karen Haynes – Bulstrodes
Sarah Clarke – About Fram
Kathy Churchill – About Fram
Janet Douglas – Country Markets
Colin Farrand – Succeed in Spain
Lisa Handley – Windmill Lodges
Donna Stockley – Glemham Hall
Jenny Labbett – Jenny Labbett Computer Services
Alan Williams – A  W Artworks
Lindsay Want Beal – Xtrahead

Gary Kitching – Fram Town Council

  1. Sign off Draft Minutes
    Richard Whitaker approved and agreed to sign off the minutes from the March 2015 meeting.
  2. Website Development
    Richard thanked everyone for their website uploads and whilst there have been a few complications, this has now been sorted. The website will be going live over the weekend (24-26th April).
  3. Town Council Report
    John Ashley Smith reported on the following:

    John thanked everyone for the positive reaction to the ‘Friendly Fram’ signs to be used in businesses around Framlingham and Richard confirmed that we’re in the process of designing the sign.
    b. Any ideas for new road names can be emailed to Eileen at  Framlingham Town Council
    c. The Cemetery Gates on Fore Street are being sandblasted and repainted over the next two weeks, access into the cemetery is via the footpath that runs along the side of the cemetery.
    d. 2016 Framlingham Calendar will be on sale from May.
  4. Framlingham Gala
    The Framlingham Gala will take place on Monday 25th The meeting discussed ideas to encourage traders to open their businesses on this day, to take advantage of the extra visitors to Framlingham. Trish and Chris from the Cook Shop commented that they had opened in previous years and that they attracted a few browsers at best.  However, it was agreed that if a significant number of shops and cafes etc. opened, even if only between 10am and 2pm to cover the period before and after the parade (around 12.30) then visitors would have a chance to see what’s on offer and potentially buy or come back another time.

ACTIONS: Richard will contact members along the route of the parade to gauge interest.

FBA to lend our Union Jack bunting to the Sports Club for Gala day.

 

  1. Suffolk Coastal Business
    Jenny confirmed that she had resigned as Chair of Suffolk Coastal Business and said that the recent AGM had been successful. Four people are keen to join the board, including Donna Stockley – an FBA member based at Glemham Hall, who specialises in Event Management. Jenny also confirmed that the SCB conference that took place in March at High Lodge, Darsham went very well and received excellent feedback. SCB will build on this format for next year’s event.

 

  1. FBA AGM
    FBA AGM is scheduled to take place on 17th July 2015 at Fram Farmers. From 5.30pm for a 6pm start, we’ll have 30 minutes on AGM business followed by a social gathering. Richard is looking for a key speaker, ideas so far include Dr Dan Poulter and Scott Russell (of Paddy and Scott’s).  If anyone has other ideas, please email Richard chair@framlinghambusiness.co.uk.

 

  1. Events Update
    Heritage Day –
    This is scheduled for Saturday 12 September 2015. Kathy and Sarah, from AboutFram, are organising this again (after last year’s success) and it will follow a similar format though not exactly the same.

SausageFest – E P Marketing won the bid to manage the PR and Marketing for SausageFest, showing an impressive enthusiasm and knowledge of the event.
Jenny Stockman won the bid for the Event Management of SausageFest.  Becky mentioned that Jenny should speak to the Rotary Chair, Lindsay Pearson, about the possibility of the Rotary assisting where they can.  Jenny confirmed that this year’s SausageFest will be more heavily FBA branded, there will be no raffle, and funding will be in the form of sponsorship, grants (applied for), advertising, and entry costs. A few sausage providers have confirmed so far, all wishing to be based on Market Hill. Community-based stalls will be at John Grose.  Jenny also confirmed that event will be looking for gluten free and vegetarian sausage providers to take part.  Jenny discussed the road closure with John Ashley Smith of TC.

 

Fab Fram Christmas – Provisional date so far for this event is Friday 11th December (the Town Council’s Charity Market is scheduled for the Sunday before, December 6th). This means the turning on of the lights could happen on Friday 27th November.

ACTION: RH to liaise with other individuals and groups involved in Christmas lights.

The breakdown of tasks for the event – from Fiona Mealing, who’s organised the last two Xmas events – is comprehensive and actions can be divided among a number of volunteers. Andrew Kerry reminded Richard to book a slot with Co-Op to sell raffle tickets.

RH has since emailed the CoOp and secured these dates in November: Wednesday 18th, Saturday 21st and Wednesday 25th

 

ACTION: RH to set up the first Christmas Meeting on Friday 8th May. Please come along if you’re interested in being involved in planning/discussing the event: The Railway Inn, 9.30am


AOB
a. Richard reminded the meeting of the litter pick organised by the WI for Wednesday 22nd. (NOTE: Eight volunteers, all wearing FBA high vis jackets, each filled a bin liner full of rubbish from Station Road and Fairfield Road (and roads off) and Fore Street.)
b. Garnetts will supply 4 ½ barrels filled with summer flowers at a cost of around £80 per barrel to be placed around Framlingham.  Permission needs to be granted from FTC before FBA place the order with Garnetts.  ACTION: RH to speak to Eileen Coe and submit proposal to Suffolk Coastal.
c. Richard Whittaker minuted that 3 attendees from March FBA meeting never received a follow up call or email after the meeting.  This will be rectified and a quick call or email will be made/sent in future.

d. Richard Whitaker also minuted his personal – and the FBA’s – thanks to Fram Residents’ Association for removing the “No” posters from around town, in response to his request (which had also been echoed by other businesses).

e. FBA Admin – Richard announced that the position of FBA Admin will become vacant in late May/early June so we are taking this opportunity to advertise the role via the minutes. Suffolk Coast Business will also be circulating this information:

Could you be the new FBA Administrator?

Framlingham Business Association is looking to appoint a new, part-time Administrator to help with the work we do for local businesses and the community. The Administrator will be responsible for:

  • Assisting FBA Chair and other Committee Members with various tasks
  • Maintaining the membership database (we have over 100 members now)
  • Organising new – and renewal – subscriptions and creating/sending other invoices
  • Distributing emails and letters to members
  • Arranging venues for monthly (and other) meetings and taking/preparing the minutes
  • Working with FBA Treasurer to manage bank accounts
  • Doing day-to-day book-keeping and assisting Treasurer with end-of-year accounts
  • Helping with website administration
  • Filing documents and keeping records, as required

Typically, the work involves 20 to 30 hours per month, paid at £8.50 per hour.

If you’re interested in this role and want to get involved with FBA, please contact Richard Harrison, FBA Chair, before May 22ndchair@framlinghambusiness.co.uk

 

Next Meeting
Monday 18th May April 2015, 5.30pm at the Lemon Tree.